Design Research | Product Design, UX & UI
focus on a11y & accessible products
I uncover product design and user needs; to solve user opportunities through diverse backgrounds in retail, computer and mobile technology, automotive, construction and education. This diversity allows for the successful alignment, empathy, design thinking, passion and research necessary for HCI, UI and design.
PROFICIENCY: Industrial design, materials, processes, metalsmithing, graphic design, WYSIWYG website creation, design thinking, design research and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
Community involvement: attending Meetups for A2 Experience Design with Agile & Lean UX, Detroit User Experience, Detroit Women in Tech, Girl Develop It, IT in the D, LaDev, Ladies that UX, and Tech-Inclusive Meetups focusing on A11y accessibility and inclusiveness.
Workshops & classes: including Menlo High-Tech Anthropology UX training -- highlighting persona mapping and user design, Grand Circus Java coding workshop, and front-end code with HTML5 / CSS3 and Wordpress courses through Ed2Go online programs.
Volunteer/attendee: of conferences including Agile and Beyond , Digital Summit Series (web and digital marketing), AIGA Design Decipher (design and education summit), Maker Works (maker space events), Intermitten (Detroit tech and inclusiveness), and the 2018 HBA Builders Design Challenge.
Mentorship: to the UX community via LinkedIn and Medium.com posts about leadership, UX, UI, design, and accessibility. Use Meetaway.com video chat to counsel new designers. Work with design colleagues from various disciplines through my professional experiences in product and graphic design.
Exhibit Technician & Graphic Designer, Ann Arbor Hands on Museum
Ann Arbor, MI. Jan. 2015-April 2018
The Ann Arbor Hands on Museum is a 501(c)(3) organization with more than 250 interactive exhibits.
- Conceptualized, developed and constructed scientific exhibits and user graphic labels and media.
- Mentored two interns and managed the department Trello board to organize the preventive maintenance and enhancement needs for more than 250 science-based exhibits.
- Designed an organizational system that mitigated the risk of a dangerous shop environment; also resulting in a decrease of exhibit repair time from four days to 15 minutes. Happy to share how!
- Developed a searchable vendor resource resulting in increased efficiency and rapport with new and existing vendors of mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic components and fabricated parts.
Specialist, Apple Inc.
Novi, MI. Oct. 2009-Nov. 2014
Apple delivers amazing experiences through the sales and UI of mobile and computer platforms.
- Designed and maintained the UI of an in-house blog and newsletter to enable co-workers to share creative pursuits and events.
- Assisted with sales operations to support a daily average of 1,200-1,500 visitors via consumer in-store group workshops and one-on-one trainings.
- Contributed to new store opening ensuring brand consistency; planned and managed logistics, visuals, display layout, cord management and product placements.
Adjunct Graphic Design Professor, Adrian College
Adrian, MI. Aug. 2011-April 2013
Adrian College is a private liberal arts college that offers bachelor degrees in 40 academic majors.
- Developed a series of web blogs with navigable UI as a new form of communication empowering students to engage with weekly materials and design vernacular in and beyond the classroom.
- Solely revitalized the graphic design curriculum for design thinking through the development of unique programming. Courses developed and taught include:
- Digital Imaging (Photoshop)
- Graphic Design I (Illustrator / InDesign)
- Graphic Design II (Illustrator / InDesign)
Graphic Designer, Campus Life Department, Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI. June 2006-May 2009
The Campus Life Department offers student-centered learning, development and involvement activities for students, staff and members of the broader campus community.
- Under tight project deadlines, utilized Adobe CS Suite to create print and web projects including posters, flyers, brochures, books, calendars and tri-folds.
- Improved workflow by creating an organizational system for filing work orders resulting in a 30% decrease in turnaround times.
- Gathered or took photographs for print events and web advertising.
- Worked with surrounding departments to insure proper copy and communicate brand identity.
- Executed design jobs and coordinated yearly training for new designers..
EducationMFA, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI. Graphic Design (Magna Cum Laude)
BFA, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. Industrial Design & Metalsmithing (Cum Laude)
- The University of Michigan Alumni Association lifetime member
- National Professional Association for Design (AIGA) affiliate
- Former President of the Masters of Art & Design Association at Eastern Michigan University (EMU MADA)
- Former Co-President of the The University of Michigan Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA)